Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Leanne's Work


I am busy from dawn until dusk, so let me reassure you that I’ve not changed! I can’t tell you why I’m so busy, just that I am. It’s my curse, I know. I find stuff to do and it keeps me running in circles.  I collapse in bed at night, and wonder “what did I really accomplish today?”  And then I remember my Malawi friends Sally and Retha teaching me that Malawi is all about relationships. And I realize “OK, I did that today. I had a relationship encounter today. No wait, I had 10 relationship encounters!”  Suffice it to say, I have content for many blogs on these many encounters (some, clearly divine appointments).

One of those such encounters: Here I am with 2 blind men Madalitso on the left, Waters on the right) who now call me "Momma". A long story for another blog, but we're helping them complete secondary school, at 31 years old!

In a nutshell, I am an assistant to anyone in need!  I truly love Hope Village, the management, the staff, the vision, the possibilities … and eagerly help in a variety of projects.  I assist Tracy with her baby program (organizing baby formula distribution to at-risk babies when a mother has died or cannot nurse due to illness);

My heart project - Madalitso came to Hope Village at 16 months old and just 9lbs (pictured above), severely malnourished. Tracy took this picture while tears were welling up. "In all the years I've been here, I've never seen a baby in this shape," she confided, knowing all-to-well he was near death.

 Taking Mada into our home has truly been one of those "divine appointments". If this is the only reason we came to Malawi, I feel God's purpose was fulfilled.  (3 months later, Mada has gained nearly 4 pounds and is learning to stand. God is so good. I'll write more about him soon.)

I also enjoying helping the day care staff that Tracy manages in a variety of projects (the daily after-school program at Hope Village for orphans and the most vulnerable children).  Currently, I’m in the middle of helping to organize the loft – a storage area with many boxes of day care supplies, toys and mostly, donated clothes.  I LOVE this organizing project … especially because I see Hope Village blessing so many with these clothes almost daily. If a child is seen in rags, he/she is pulled into the office and outfitted with a new pair of shorts or shirt that same day.   

Here, I'm explaining what a taco is made of to all of the day care children. 
This was an international food themed program to teach the children about other countries.

I’m most proud to say that I support Don and Annie in their ministries … by way of doing their laundry and cooking their meals.  I need to keep them energized and focused because they want to accomplish so much every day!  They keep me hopping, and I have to admit, it's so hard to keep up.

I tag along when Don goes out into the village for a medical clinic or some other "important business." My role? I'm not sure, but I always end up singing silly songs and doing silly dances for the children. I always think they'll join in, but I must be too funny or too strange.Annie is finally not as embarrassed by this 51 year-old white lady as she was in the beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Leanne, I am so very proud of you and your family and what you are doing! I'm loving reading all the blogs and seeing the photos of these beautiful children. And I'm over the moon that you're following God's voice and His leading you here. I'll keep your work in my prayers. Love you dearly, Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne... you talk about Don being in his element there, but the same can be said of you. You shine. The whole family is shining. What an experience, a positive experience for all, especially of course the Malawians. And for us at home too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete